Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Pumps & Pleats: Buckle up for a 'Flight' of fancy

Story and photos by Michèle De Meglio



My trusty carry-on is made of cheap black canvas and came with two larger suitcases and a cruddy toiletry bag as a special $40 package from my favorite bull’s-eye franchise.



Good deal? Yes.



Stylish? No.



One step into Flight 001 made it clear that I am by no means a fabulous flyer.



The shop boasts a stunning array of seriously cool travel gear suitable for the most fashion-forward folk or the too-cool-for-school hipsters.



There’s patent red carry-ons, leather cases so soft they look like old Pumas, and even bags with Orla Kiely’s 70s inspired prints of apples and pears. (I’m still kicking myself for missing her coveted collection at Tar-jay.)



My favorite item is featured on the store’s Web site, www.flight001.com, but was absent from the brick-and-mortar shop during my weekend visit. It’s a painfully adorable white suitcase decked out in a baby pink cherry blossom print. For the $220 asking price, I’d get my money’s worth by marching this sweet sucker through the Brooklyn Botanic Garden during its amazing cherry blossom festival.



But, in reality, I’m not that brave.



And I’m definitely not brave enough to carry Flight 001’s leopard print suitcase. I like animal prints as much as the next gal but seriously, talk about too much of a good thing.



For the sleeker set, there’s minimalist carry-on cases in powder blue or kelly green. They even boast cute names like "Jelly Bean."



Brooklyn’s fabulous fellas could take pride in toting around a camo case. Nothing says manly like wartime duds.



Flight 001’s concave walls are full of precisely organized travel necessities like multicolored alarm clocks, first aid kits and even a clever underwear carrier with a side for clean pairs and the other for dirty ones.



But my favorite item in the shop might very well be a throwback to my 80s childhood. The View-Master!


I may not be able to afford a trip to Paris but I sure as hell can take a holiday via Fisher Price!


Michèle De Meglio is a native Brooklynite addicted to all things chic. Check out Pumps & Pleats each week for more adventures as she scours the borough for fab duds and accessories.



(Published in the 5.28.09 issue of 24/Seven)

Editor's note: This story was written about Flight 001's Park Slope location, which has since closed. The store at 132 Smith Street remains open. Call 718-243-0001 for hours.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  May 28, 2009 at 11:13 PM  

Hey pumps and pleats gal - help my girlfriend - she dresses funny!

Copyright © 2009 All rights reserved

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP