Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Luke DuBois on MonkeyTown

To say that Luke DuBois has played MonkeyTown a lot is an understatement.

Since the Williamsburg performance space opened more than four years ago, the musician estimates he's played there 35 times, either his own work or as a sidekick.



This January 16 DuBois plays MonkeyTown for the last time, as the space is closing January 24 over rent issues.



We asked DuBois, who also teaches at the Brooklyn Experimental Media Center at NYU's Polytechnic Institute, what he'll miss about the space, and what he has planned for his upcoming show.



What will you miss about the performance space?
Everything: the food, the ability to create such a great immersive experience with video, the intimacy of the space. Most of all, though, I'll miss being able to see...everyone who works there. They were really supportive of me over the last four-plus years, and it'll be sad to see the space go.



Do you have any memories of shows or experiences there that stand out?
The first time Iwent to MonkeyTown was to see Golan Levin play in the fall of 2005. I had had a really awful day, and was wandering around aimlessly in Williamsburg, when I ran into a couple of former students who said they were trying to go see this show. I'd heard of MonkeyTown but never been, and it was the most fantastic experience. I kind of couldn't believe that such a place existed.

Do you have anything special planned for your show there this month?
I'm going to try to do a little bit of everything that I've done at MonkeyTown over the years. I'll be doing "Bioluminescence" and "Fair Use," which are my two main music performance projects, plus a string quartet, plus a solo laptop set and some film. It'll be kind of anarchic, but I want to put on a pretty diverse body of work, just to have fun in that space, one last time.

Luke DuBois plays MonkeyTown (58 N. 3rd St.) January 16 at 11 p.m. Tickets are $7, with a $10 minimum. For more information, call (718) 384-1369 .

Photo: Luke DuBois at MonkeyTown in 2008.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2009 All rights reserved

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP