Thursday, July 1, 2010

Pumps & Pleats: Ride your bike in style

Photo by Ted Levin

Story by Michèle De Meglio

Any fashionista knows that you must look chic at all times.

So with spring in full swing, it’s time to break out your bicycles for some fun in the sun. But wait! You can’t ride around on any old beat-up piece of junk. You need a chic cycle — and so do I.

I scoured the borough (and even hit Paragon Sports in Manhattan) for the perfect beach cruiser. Why a cruiser? Well, it’s much more comfortable than the folding bike I own and comes in crazy colors and prints that are definitely cuter than my gunmetal gray Breezer!

Roy’s Sheepshead Cycle Shop on Coney Island Avenue off Avenue X has tons of bikes but a limited selection of cruisers by Electra, a California-based bike brand.

If you’re looking for a gorgeous lemon yellow Amsterdam cycle painted with delicate red flowers, stop in at Roy’s. It’s a super feminine and super pretty ride but I was set on scoring a blue bike. C’mon, wouldn’t it be sweet to ride an ocean blue beach cruiser on the Coney Island boardwalk (during permitted hours, of course)?

So I headed to Ride Brooklyn on Bergen Street between Flatbush Avenue and Fifth Avenue, which sold a color-block cruiser to a friend of mine last year.

Only a few Electra styles were in stock and I immediately passed on anything bearing the word “Townie” down the frame. Lame-o!

Since they didn’t have the Coaster One model I was really digging, I took a test ride on a baby blue bike decorated with white tropical flowers.

All it took was one quick trip around the block for me to fall in love with the Hawaii bike’s slick ride and flashy style. It certainly helped having a cute fella scream, “Awesome bike!”

I nearly bought the sucker but wasn’t pleased with the three-speed style or steel frame. So I ordered the Coaster.

After five depressingly long days, my bike arrived in Brooklyn looking even better than I could have imagined! The white frame was smooth and shiny and the blue splashes on the fenders, frame and seat were more vibrant than azure blue Caribbean waters. There has never been a prettier bike in Brooklyn!

For my first adventure, I sped down the rolling hills in Prospect Park. The bike rode like a dream — and turned heads. If I had a buck for every person who screamed, “Oh, that’s a nice bike,” I’d be a rich gal. Now that is cruising in style!

Michèle De Meglio is a native Brooklynite addicted to all things chic. Check out Pumps & Pleats each week for more adventures as she scours the borough for fab duds and accessories.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2009 All rights reserved

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP