Monday, March 29, 2010

Kitchen Klutz: Klutz is egg-cellent


By Michèle De Meglio

To me, breakfast is the easiest meal of the day. All you do is dump some Cheerios and organic fat-free milk in a bowl and voilà! Easy peasy.

But I’m tired of eating cereal! I want a grown-up breakfast!

Eggs seem sophisticated but I don’t want to burn my frying pan every single morning. (That’d require a lot of Brillo.) So what about a casserole? If I made a yummy egg and veggie dish, I could store it in my freezer and simply microwave a slice each morning. Sounds like a super plan!

I’ve never made such a casserole before so I thought of all the things I enjoy in my omelet - cheese (mozzarella or cheddar) and veggies (mostly peppers and onions).

If I just toss all that stuff in a bowl, it’s gotta be good, right? Let’s find out!

So that’s what I did. I filled my trusty baking pan (it’s blue!) with a few eggs and loads of veggies.

I minced the veggies because I don’t know about you, but I hate eating giant pieces of leaves. I feel like a rabbit! And it’s much more fun to have tiny flecks of green goodness all over my dish. Yum!

I wasn’t sure how long to cook the casserole and was particularly nervous. Why do you ask? Well, because I generally overcook scrambled eggs until they are hard brown clumps. I didn’t want my casserole to wind up like that!

So I repeatedly opened the oven door to inspect the dish. And I mean a lot.

Verdict: Not like Cheerios. Duh!

The egg-cellent casserole wasn’t too bad. Maybe could have used some salt and pepper (I always forget those things) but overall, I consider it a success for my first experiment.

More than anything, I think I found the taste of eggs jarring after so many cereal mornings.

Next time, I’ll use more veggies - and lots of ‘em! Oh yeah, and some seasoning.


Breakfast casserole
Ingredients
5 eggs
1 cup red pepper
1 cup green pepper
3/4 cup onion
1-1/2 cup cheddar or mozzarella cheese, grated
1 cup milk
Salt
Pepper

Directions
Mince vegetables. Beat eggs in large bowl, then add remaining ingredients. Pour mixture in a greased 9x13 inch dish. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.

Kitchen Klutz follows 20-something Michèle De Meglio as she burns casseroles and her fingers, all in hope of trading frozen dinners for home cooking.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2009 All rights reserved

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP